ant-user mailing list archives

From Siamack Farshi <>
Subject RE: JAVA_HOME path problem in linux
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2002 12:18:49 GMT
Check /usr/local directory, normally all the softwares that
are shared by users are put in this directory. If you do not find
java installation there, why do n't you download one there
and then set you path to that location, that will solve
all your problems. In my case it did.

usr/bin only contains java executable.

-----Original Message-----
From: []
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 8:16 AM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: JAVA_HOME path problem in linux

Thanx for that, but I 've tried it and didn't work

If I put JAVA_HOME=/usr/bin I get the error message
cannot execute or load usr/bin/bin

If I put JAVA_HOME=/usr I get the error message
couldn't find or load essential class java/lang/Object

set JAVA_HOME=/usr/bin and not /usr/bin/java
Kapil Singh Pawar
Consultant - Integration
i2 Technologies India Private Ltd.
1 Primrose Road
Bangalore 560 025, INDIA
Tel: +91 80 558 1487-90 ext. 2416

Rigas Parathyras <>
06/12/02 05:29 PM
Please respond to "Ant Users List"

        Subject:        please help JAVA_HOME problem in path (mandrake)

hello there
I was wondering if someone could help me with ant installation. It's
about the JAVA_HOME path. I am
using linux, Mandrake and I cannot find the path where java is
installed. Whenever I type ant, I get the error message:
ERROR: JAVA_HOME is not defined correctly.

The thing is I installed java from the cdrom of mandrake originally and
not seperately and now I cannot find it.

If I type whereis java I get the directories:
/usr/bin/java   /usr/include/java
The first one just has the java command and the second the libraries (If
I put the second as JAVA_HOME it gives me the error message that it
cannot find the class Object.

I would be so greatful if you could help me in this
Best regards

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>