ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <>
Subject RE: Display -XXX tasks in -projecthelp result?
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2002 13:49:31 GMT
-projecthelp will not list tasks without a description attribute or element.
It is indeed a common idiom to prefix private target names with a dash to
prevent being callable from the command line (easily), but as you mention
it's kind of a hack. Since ANT doesn't seem to have any/much restrictions on
target names, it seems legit though (except maybe using a comma, since it's
the target separator of the depends attribute).

I personally post-fix target names with a question mark when they check
something, usually setting properties conditionally.

Regards, --DD

-----Original Message-----
From: Ernst de Haan []
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2002 6:49 AM
Subject: Display -XXX tasks in -projecthelp result?

Suggestion: Perhaps we should disable displaying of the 'private' tasks in
-projecthelp output? Private tasks can be implemented by having their name
start with a dash '-'. In fact this is a sort of dirty hack, because Ant
considers an argument starting with a hash as an argument instead of a

Ernst de Haan
EuroNet Internet B.V.

    "Come to me all who are weary and burdened
        and I will give you rest" -- Jesus Christ

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>