ant-user mailing list archives

From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: DocBook anyone?
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:13:18 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>>A slightly hacked ant 1.4.1 works with Saxon instead of
>>Xalan+Xerces. It would be worth a try whether ant 1.5b
>>will work with Saxon out of the box.
>

> What kind of hack has been involved?

Replacing SAX1 by SAX2 interfaces. IIRC:
   Parser->XMLReader
   DocumentHandler -> ContentHandler
   update startElement and endElement methods
   AttributeList->Attributes
   perhaps using JAXP for obtaining the XMLReader
   object, don't remember.
It was rather mechanical S&R, roughly 20min of work.

> Ant 1.5 is supposed to work with AElfred (instead of Xerces), I'm not
> sure about Saxon.  Newer Saxon releases implement TraX, so <style>
> should work with them, but for older ones ...  Have you written a
> Liaison class of your own?

No. After I changed the interfaces above, any Saxon more recent
than some 5.x, available for one and a half year now, ran out of
the box. Current stable release is 6.5.2, using older releases
is discouraged anyway because of standards conformants problems
and/or severe bugs. It should run with Xerces too, but I didn't
try this in this context.

Does Ant1.5 use DOM? If so, remember that the DOM implementation
coming with Saxon is read-only.
Furthermore, the AElfred delivered with Saxon does not like changes
in the defaults, no possibility to disable namespace support, and
no possibility to turn on validation.

J.Pietschmann