ant-user mailing list archives

From Bill Burton <>
Subject Re: Need help running Ant under cygwin on Win2k
Date Tue, 18 Jun 2002 02:12:52 GMT
Hello Chris,

Chris Bailey wrote:
> It also appears that maybe CYGWIN sets the $USERPROFILE environment var, and
> it happens to be set to C:\Documents and Settings\login for me.

$USERPROFILE is set by WinNT/2000/XP in cmd.exe based on the locaton of
your user profile.  Cygwin is inheriting the existing value when starting

 > This appears to be hosing some of my scripts, because Ant's user.home
property is
> being set to this.

The user.home property is set by the JVM, not by Ant.

> I haven't found where to change $USERPROFILE yet,
> anyone?

You shouldn't change it because it could cause the JVM to fail upon
startup.  Remember, a Windows JVM does not understand Cygwin paths.  Since
Ant is running under such a JVM, it can't understand Cygwin paths either.
  However, forward slashes "/" are okay with the exception that if you
<exec> an external program, it may not support them in any arguments.

The ant script in 1.5B2 defines the system property cygwin.user.home which
is $HOME converted to a Windows format path.  If you set $HOME to the
desired Cygwin path before starting Ant, you can reference that path
within you build.xml as ${cygwin.user.home}.

Hope this helps,

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message