ant-user mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: <pathconvert> in 1.5beta3
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2002 15:39:21 GMT
--- Eugene Voytitsky <viy@sunbay.com> wrote:
> I discovered (after couple of hours :)) that behavior of <pathconvert>
> had been changed in Ant1.5b3:

Sorry -- I should have added the change info to WHATSNEW.

> if `refid` refers to empty fileset (no matched files)
> then property specified by `property` isn't set at all!
>
> Before Ant1.5b3 property is set to empty string "".

I made that change because the earlier behaviour required you to do a:
      <condition property="is.empty">
        <equals arg1="${prop.set.by.pathconvert}" arg2=""/>
      </condition>
then use "is.empty" as the determining property to do/not do things,
instead of being able to just use the property that <pathconvert>
sets(/doesn't set) directly. That not only seemed like a royal PITA, but
it also seemed like a bug to me that <pathconvert> would set a property
regardless of whether it had a value, since no other task that sets a
property will set it regardless (other than <property> itself, with the
user setting the value explicitly to "").

> BTW right behavior in this case isn't explicitly specified in docs,
> but I guess that old behavior is more correct. Isn't it?

Why do you think it's more correct the old way? What advantage does it
offer that the new behaviour doesn't?

> PS. I were very surprised and sad then my build scripts which work fine
> with all last Ant night builds failed.
>
> Is backward compatibility is guaranteed for Ant betas?

Some changes get made that will break b/c -- the section in WHATSNEW
(which I should have added this change to), "Changes that could break
older environments", lists these changes.

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)