ant-user mailing list archives

From "Shaw, Chris" <Chris.S...@ecb.int>
Subject RE: xslt task fatal error
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2002 14:45:51 GMT
Ok,

I still have the same problem (as below) with the fatal error, but in
addition there are 2 more (hopefully simpler?) questions.

Firstly, it seems that the 'style' attribute has been deprecated. How am I
supposed to specify the location of the stylesheet in the xslt task?
I have various different .xsl stylesheets all living in different
directories, but they all are run over the same xml file.

Secondly, how do I stop the xslt task generating an output file? I am using
org.apache.xalan.xslt.extensions.Redirect within my stylesheet to handle my
file output.

Thanks in advance (hopefully...)

Chris
-=-=-

-----Original Message-----
From: Shaw, Chris
Sent: 14 June 2002 10:42
To: 'ant-user@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: xslt task fatal error

Hi,

I have created an xslt task as follows:
        <xslt basedir="${schema.dir}" destdir="${tmp.dir}" force="true"
                style="../xsl/${ejb.stylesheet}" in="${xml.schema}">
            <param name="project" expression="${name}"/>
            <param name="ejb.package" expression="${ejb.package}"/>
            <param name="output.dir"
expression="${basedir}/${gen.java.dir}/main"/>
        </xslt>

Basically it runs over an XML Schema and outputs multiple files into a
specified directory.....using org.apache.xalan.xslt.extensions.Redirect

But periodically, randomly and frequently it fails with any of the following
errors...(sometimes it works 100% fine, sometimes it doesn't..and yet the
input file and xsl do not change!!!).

The first error I sometimes get is:
  [xslt] ....../ejb.xsl:123: Fatal Error! Unknown error in XPath Cause:
java.lang.NullPointerException
At this line is the statement:
                <xsl:when test="$entity.type='UNKNOWN'">
(you would think that maybe the variable is null...but how could it
sometimes be null and sometimes not when nothing else changes!!!)

The second error I sometimes get is:
     [xslt] ....../ejb.xsl:34: Warning!
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException Cause:
At this line is the statement
        <redirect:write file="{$filename}">
(again, sometimes I don't get this error and sometimes I do...without
changing anthing!)

This is driving me crazy. I can run the command repeatedly and usually I get
the errors, but often I do not get the errors.... (when I had the task as a
java command, namely <java classname="org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process"
fork="true" failonerror="true">, then I didn't ever get these errors).

Is this a known problem? or am I doing something wrong in my task?

Here is a stack trace from runnig ant in debug mode (see below)

Thanks in advance

Chris
-=-=

PS - I even upgraded to the latest Ant 1.5 Beta2, but still have the same
problem....

......./build.xml:234: Fatal error during transformation
        at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.XSLTProcess.process(XSLTProcess.java)
        at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.XSLTProcess.execute(XSLTProcess.java)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Task.perform(Task.java)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.execute(Target.java)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.runBuild(Main.java)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.start(Main.java)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.main(Main.java)
--- Nested Exception ---
Fatal error during transformation
        at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.TraXLiaison.fatalError(TraXLiaison.ja
va)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.transformNode(TransformerImpl.j
ava:1230)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.transform(TransformerImpl.java:
642)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.transform(TransformerImpl.java:
1092)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.transform(TransformerImpl.java:
1070)
        at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.TraXLiaison.transform(TraXLiaison.jav
a)
        at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.XSLTProcess.process(XSLTProcess.java)
        at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.XSLTProcess.execute(XSLTProcess.java)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Task.perform(Task.java)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.execute(Target.java)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.runBuild(Main.java)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.start(Main.java)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.main(Main.java)
--- Nested Exception ---
javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: java.lang.NullPointerException
[...]
---------
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.xpath.objects.XRTreeFrag.xstr(XRTreeFrag.java:255)
        at
org.apache.xpath.objects.XObject.dispatchCharactersEvents(XObject.java:170)
        at
org.apache.xpath.Expression.executeCharsToContentHandler(Expression.java:303
)
        at
org.apache.xalan.templates.ElemValueOf.execute(ElemValueOf.java:319)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.executeChildTemplates(Transform
erImpl.java:2186)
        at
org.apache.xalan.templates.ElemTemplate.execute(ElemTemplate.java:430)
        at
org.apache.xalan.templates.ElemCallTemplate.execute(ElemCallTemplate.java:27
9)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.executeChildTemplates(Transform
erImpl.java:2186)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.transformToRTF(TransformerImpl.
java:1729)
        at
org.apache.xalan.templates.ElemVariable.getValue(ElemVariable.java:327)
        at
org.apache.xalan.templates.ElemVariable.execute(ElemVariable.java:282)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.executeChildTemplates(Transform
erImpl.java:2186)
        at
org.apache.xalan.templates.ElemTemplate.execute(ElemTemplate.java:430)
        at
org.apache.xalan.templates.ElemCallTemplate.execute(ElemCallTemplate.java:27
9)
        at
org.apache.xalan.templates.ElemForEach.transformSelectedNodes(ElemForEach.ja
va:438)
        at
org.apache.xalan.templates.ElemForEach.execute(ElemForEach.java:299)
        at
org.apache.xalan.templates.ElemApplyTemplates.transformSelectedNodes(ElemApp
lyTemplates.java:420)
        at
org.apache.xalan.templates.ElemApplyTemplates.execute(ElemApplyTemplates.jav
a:226)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.executeChildTemplates(Transform
erImpl.java:2186)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.applyTemplateToNode(Transformer
Impl.java:2012)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.transformNode(TransformerImpl.j
ava:1175)
[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris Shaw
> European Central Bank
> DG Information Systems
> * Chris.Shaw@ecb.int
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Any e-mail message from the European Central Bank (ECB) is sent in good
faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a
commitment by the ECB except where provided for in a written agreement.
This e-mail is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above.
Any unauthorised disclosure, use or dissemination, either in whole or in
part, is prohibited.
immediately via e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system.

Any e-mail message from the European Central Bank (ECB) is sent in good faith but shall neither
be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by the ECB except where provided for
in a written agreement.
This e-mail is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above. Any unauthorised
disclosure, use or dissemination, either in whole or in part, is prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately via e-mail
and delete this e-mail from your system.