ant-user mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: How do I get rid of the "Compile failed..." message from Ant when the javac task reports erros?
Date Sat, 01 Jun 2002 19:23:03 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Shorn Tolley" <shorn_tolley@hotmail.com>
To: "Ant Users List" <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 01, 2002 3:09 PM
Subject: Re: How do I get rid of the "Compile failed..." message from Ant
when the javac task reports erros?

> Yep, that's basically exactly what happens with NetBeans.
> And now that I am trying out IDEA, it's even worse, because IDEA reports
the
> Ant build messages in a kind of hierarchical tree.  For some reason the
IDE
> propogates the error message to every level, so the superfluous message
> tends to clutter up the display.
>
> So this message interferes with the integration of Ant and multiple IDEs
> (Emacs / Xemacs, NetBeans and IDEA)
>
> Does any one know why this message is reported?

If a task throws a BuildException from its execute method (or any exception
for that matter) it is reported along with the line number in the build file
that caused the error.  It can be useful to navigate directly to the build
file in the case of an error as it could have been caused by something
incorrectly specified there.  It just happens to do the same thing after
compiling source code too.

If you're using IDEA, why do you have compile errors in the first place?!
:)  It shows you in the side bar with red when there are compilation errors.

Anyway, there really is no good way to avoid this as it is using the same
mechanism for all tasks, and is not something <javac> is doing explicitly -
its simply notifying the engine that the build should fail.

    Erik