ant-user mailing list archives

From "Hal Hildebrand \(web\)" <Hal.Hildebr...@hellblazer.com>
Subject Re: Ant 1.5Beta3 Released
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2002 16:03:20 GMT
Thanks for the release.  Fixes a lot of stuff from my testing so far.
Very cool.

However, the messages for overriding tasks still appear.

I see that some work was done in Project.defineTask() to try to solve
this, but to no avail.

Not trying to be mean, so take what I say with a grain of salt <g>

I understand why one would want to warn when tasks are attempted to be
overridden, but I don't know how to rectify the two competing
requirements.

The question is one of modularity.  Complex builds will inevitably have
common include XML fragments which define the common tasks.  Even if
they don't use XML include to do this, they will re-define the common
tasks used throughout the build.  This is inevitable.

In my case, we have about 20 tasks we use throughout the build, and at
least one or two are required for every build file in the system.

So I can certainly always take the Ant distribution and just change the
MSG_WARN into a MSG_VERBOSE.  It's not any really big deal - takes me a
few minutes.  But what I would like to understand from those that think
that the current behavior of Ant issuing the warning messages is a good
idea, is how to structure the system such that this doesn't happen.

Really, I just want to know what the work around is.  My belief - and
it's just my twisted mind that believes this, so bear with me - is that
unless a binary comparison is done on the task class, one will always
run into this problem.  So, the new change (1.4 - 1.5) will cause any
build which has custom tasks used in multiple projects in which projects
call tasks in other projects to spit out a vast number of irrelevant
warning messages.

Again, I just would like an explanation from those who think these
warnings are a good idea as to how to make them stop in a complex build
such as I have.  I just want to know what the work around is.

Thanks for listening.