ant-user mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Delete and File Properties
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2002 19:40:43 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Walker" <twalker@merc-int.com>

> Hmmm...thanks...a better question, I guess, is...
>
> Is the documentation:
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/manual/
>
> Acceptable for something as fundamental as this ? Trying to implement a
task based solely on this
> documentation led me to these assumptions.

Well, in all fairness, the documentation is geared primarily towards Ant
users.  The best source of information on how to develop Ant tasks will
always be, well, Ant's own source code.

And the answers to the setter and TaskContainer issues were on the
developing page:
http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/manual/develop.html#writingowntask

Granted there is lots of room for improvement there.  But....

> I'll have to track down a good reference. Any come to mind ?

Why yes, and I'm glad you asked!  :)

We have one chapter dedicated to writing custom tasks, and another that has
info on writing custom selectors, FilterReaders, mappers, listeners, and
loggers. At some point our publisher will post some chapters online at
http://www.manning.com/antbook/ but they aren't there yet - and I haven't a
clue which ones will be made available for free as samples.  Proofreader is
reading our stuff now, so we are well on our way to having it in print soon.

    Erik