ant-user mailing list archives

From "Mike Cepek" <mce...@smsi.com>
Subject RE: wrapping long string literals
Date Fri, 24 May 2002 14:48:11 GMT
Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 May 2002, Mike Cepek <mcepek@smsi.com> wrote:
>
>>     <javadoc doctitle="SMSI Java API Reference">
>>         <header>&amp;copy; Copyright SMSI, 2000, </header>
>>         <header>2001, 2002&lt;br>All Rights Reserved</header>
>>
>> But only the last <header> comes out.
>
> Ant doesn't expect multiple <header> elements, use
>
>  <header>&amp;copy; Copyright SMSI, 2000,
>  2001, 2002&lt;br>All Rights Reserved</header>

Which works only because HTML seems to tolerate extraneous whitespace
(like newlines and tabs, which are passed through as part of the header
string text).

So for this exact situation (javadoc/header), this works.  I guess I was
hoping for a more general solution whenever I had a long string literal.
Another example is target/description.  Any overly long file or path
specification is another place where extra whitespace isn't ok.

What I've learned so far is that XML doesn't offer this (being, by
definition, "unreadable" :-), and that other than extending ant (e.g.
property/append as proposed by Diane Holt), there isn't a clean,
universal solution.

Oh well.  I appreciate everyone's input!