ant-user mailing list archives

From Scott Ellsworth <sc...@alodar.com>
Subject Re: Ant: The Definitive Guide (Orielly)
Date Tue, 28 May 2002 18:50:00 GMT

On Tuesday, May 28, 2002, at 11:08  AM, Chris Bailey wrote:

> Too many books [print reference material], and should realize in this
> day and age, unless the book itself is a desktop reference (and only
> that), that it's pointless (and even then it's pretty debateable,
> unless it's like say the Java reference books that are more than just
> JavaDoc, but give nice examples).

The other good time to print such information is when the book
re-organizes the information, as the Java Almanac does.  These are great
books to peruse, as they organize the information in a very different,
yet useful, manner.

In the main, though, any book with printed out javadocs at the back does
not get purchased.  I am starting also to reject books with CDs in them,
as I would rather pull the most recent from the source when I get the
books, and they usually cost substantially more than their competition,
often with less information.

I do like the recent trend of putting the majority of the code examples
at the publisher's site, with only important snippets in the actual
text - this means the book is more meat and less condiment.

Scott