ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: wrapping long string literals
Date Thu, 23 May 2002 21:53:33 GMT
The XML spec explicitly stated that XML was not designed to be 'human
readable'. That's why there are no provisions (correct me if I'm wrong) for
line continuation. Simply write everything on the same line, or head the
suggestion on using Ant differently. --DD

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Cepek [mailto:mcepek@smsi.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2002 3:52 PM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: wrapping long string literals

I want to write something like this in Ant:

    <property name="longdir" value="/base/rootdir/subdir1/
            subdir2/subdir3/subdir4"/>

which actually works, but produces a string with whitespace before
"subdir2".

Is there a way to break strings across lines (without introducing extra
whitespace)?  We have a coding standard here of <=80 chr lines.

In Java, of course, I just write:

    String longdir = "/base/rootdir/subdir1/" +
            "subdir2/subdir3/subdir4";

I paged thru "Applied XML" and "Professional XML", but I found nothing
addressing this.  I realize this is more of an XML/SGML syntax question,
but it's a usability aspect of Ant too.

Thanks.