ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: Is there a limit on the java command-line?
Date Fri, 03 May 2002 16:18:10 GMT
Here's an extract of a .bat script where we had the same problem. A Java
system property had a quoted path ending in a back-slash, and apparently
java.exe chokes on it. I've solved the issue by escaping the back-slash when
finding a {back-slash, double-quote} sequence of character. See below.

And yes, even with cmd.exe there's a limitation in the DOS command line. Had
too many jars in classpath, and too many Java system properties on the
java.exe command line. Either merge your jars, or state JAR dependencies in
the Class-Path attribute of your JAR manifests to turn around them, or use
another script language (PERL, PYTHON, etc...), but then you have to distrib
it with your app to start it up. Or write your own startMyApp.exe... --DD

:: replace all the trailing \" by \\" to avoid the java program
:: misunderstanding the command line
set _sysproperties=%_sysproperties:\"=\\"%
set _ovproperties=%_ovproperties:\"=\\"%

java %_sysproperties% %_ovproperties% ...

-----Original Message-----
From: Russ Freeman [mailto:russ@freesoft.co.uk]
Sent: Friday, May 03, 2002 11:05 AM
To: 'Ant Users List'
Subject: RE: Is there a limit on the java command-line?

Yeah but I'm in a cmd shell not a command shell where I thought there
was no limit.

In actual fact I've narrowed it down even further: -

It seems that java fails because I seem to have "C:\" on the end of the
classpath even though I haven't added anything of the sort.

I'm now wondering if my classpath is getting truncated somehow...