ant-user mailing list archives

From Scott Ellsworth <sc...@alodar.com>
Subject How to specify depends as a list of elements, rather than an attribute?
Date Fri, 03 May 2002 18:26:56 GMT
Hi, all.

Does ANT allow an element-based statement of target dependencies, rather
than an attribute based one?  In other words, is there any way to say:

<target name="build-thing">
   <depends>
   build-subthing1
   </depends>
   <depends>
   build-subthing2
   </depends>
  -- other stuff
</target>

rather than

<target name="build-thing" depends="build-subthing1, build-subthing2">
  -- other stuff
</target>

Why do I want this?

I generate my build.xml from a list in an xml file via xslt.  I have a
project named "thing" that depends on other projects subthing1 and
subthing2.  I want to produce a target with the name build-thing with
depends="build-subthing1, build-subthing2"

I currently have a projectlist.xml that specifies these as:

<project name="thing">
   <dependency type="project" name="subthing1"/>
   <dependency type="project" name="subthing2"/>
</project>

By simply applying a style task to

   <xsl:for-each select="project">
     <target name="build-{@name}" depends="init">
       -- other stuff
     </target>
   </xsl:for-each>

gives me a build.xml with

<target name="build-thing" depends="init">
  -- other stuff
</target>

XSLT like:

   <xsl:for-each select="project">
     <target name="build-{@name}" depends="init">
       <xsl:for-each select="depends">
         <depends>
           build-{@name}
         </depends>
       </xsl:for-each>
       -- other stuff
     </target>
   </xsl:for-each>

would give me

<target name="build-thing">
   <depends>
   build-subthing1
   </depends>
   <depends>
   build-subthing2
   </depends>
  -- other stuff
</target>

I cannot figure out how to make xslt give me

<target name="build-thing" depends="build-subthing1, build-subthing2">
  -- other stuff
</target>

I am constrained against using javascript, as they want this entirely
done either in core ant or in xslt space.

Scott