ant-user mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: depend 1.5 not handling nonpublic classes?
Date Sat, 18 May 2002 09:52:29 GMT
Scott Ellsworth wrote:

> "Non public classes cause two problems. Firstly depend cannot relate the
> class file to a source file."
>
> I had remembered this as only impacting static constants, not extra
> non-public classes defined in the same file.

In 1.4.1 <depend> could remove a non-public class which was out of date but
not remove the main class. This would not trigger <javac> to recompile the
class and you could have some problems. In 1.5 <depend> now warns you about
such classes being out of date and does not remove them. I think this is
preferable. Another option would be to trigger a complete build in this case.

> Any chance someone is working on the "In the future this may be
> addressed using the source file attribute in the classfile" enhancement
> suggested in the documentation?

There is some chance :-). Of course, such an approach will only work if the
class file is compiled with debugging info. Then again, that is usually
going to be the case when you want incremental builds.

Conor