ant-user mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <>
Subject Re: Ant very slow with JDK 1.3 and 1.4
Date Thu, 09 May 2002 12:34:40 GMT
Shimon Crown wrote:
 > I have a number of JDKs on my Windows NT box. I have found that I
 > get unacceptably slow compile times when compiling with JDK 1.3.1 or
 > JSDK 1.4.0. For comparison it takes about 10 seconds to compile 6 files
 > with JDK 1.2.2 (supplied with the IDE I use) whereas it takes 2.5 minutes
 > with the later JDKs. I am changing the JDK by setting the  JAVA_HOME
 > variable in the ant.bat file

6 files in 2.5 minutes - that is pretty slow, assuming they are your common
or garden variety classes. I just built ant on my slow old box and it took
50 seconds for a complete distribution (including compiling 485 files).

 > e.g :
 > rem set JAVA_HOME=c:\j2sdk1.4.0
 > rem set JAVA_HOME=c:\jdk1.3.1
 > set JAVA_HOME=c:\visualcafexe\Java2

You could check the following

1. No Cafe stuff in your Path
2. Check for java executables in Winnt\system32
3. Check for stuff in your classpath.

If that gives no joy, you should run ant with the -debug flag and try to see
  where the time is being spent. If it is in the compile step, what happens
when you use javac with the same args (You'll see them in the output)?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message