ant-user mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: Ant 1.5 Beta documentation online
Date Mon, 06 May 2002 23:50:31 GMT
Daniel Barclay wrote:

>Does the Ant project have a policy on which version of the
>documentation should be the (default) documentation on the
>web site?  If not, it probably should (so it's not a question
>of who people considers it release-quality or not released yet).

There is no written (or binding) policy. In general, the current release
is available on line. Peter Donald requested that the online docs be
upgraded and Erik gave a +1.

As for "release quality", there is nothing really different between the
beta build and any other nightly build - they are all release quality
:-).  Seriously, a beta achieves "release quality" by being tested by as
wide an audience as possible. This is one of the reasons I think it is a
good idea to upgrade the documentation. We want as many people to try
out the beta as possible. We want people to know it is there. One of the
things I noticed in the Ant 1.4 release cycle was that 1.3 downloads
outstripped the 1.4 beta downloads significantly. I think this is one
reason why there is Ant 1.4.1. It would be good for all of us if this
were not to be repeated in 1.5.

>Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting that the new documentation
>shouldn't be on the web site, just that it shouldn't replace the
>documentation for the current (last released) version.
>
>You could do it the way Sun does:  The documentation for JDK 1.2
>and JDK 1.3 was (and is) still accessible (without downloading and
>unpacking)on their web site when 1.4beta and then 1.4.0 came out.

The significant difference is that the JDK does not bundle the
documentation, where Ant does. Anyone who has downloaded Ant has the
full documentation available locally. Also Sun has considerably greater
hardware resources than Apache. I know the website isn't huge but
consider if each project maintained documentation for all versions
on-line. There are a lot of projects :

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/#dirlist

Conor