ant-user mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Setting Enviroment alias in properties file - CLARIFICATION
Date Thu, 30 May 2002 22:36:57 GMT
--- Steve Loughran <steve_l@iseran.com> wrote:
> My view is that importing properties is a symptom of a larger problem:
> sharing information between files. Adding more command line opts doesnt
> address the more fundamental issue that we need better ways of importing
> build files into build files

I'd agree with that. I'm +0 on this one myself (I generally tend to do
these sorts of things primarily as a way to learn more Java, and if it
happens to provide an acceptable solution at the same time, all the
better).

> I do use <property env> in most of my build files, but I always read it
> in after reading the user, project and masterbuild property files, in
> that order. This gives me 3 places to override an env variable, if I so
> choose.

Not sure I'd agree with that approach -- if you're getting to the env.*
properties in your properties files before my actual environment sets
them, how do I ever get to say what the var should be? (IOW, if you're
setting them, why bother to have them as env vars? -- or am I missing
something?)

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)