ant-user mailing list archives

From "Jimmy Han" <j...@cisco.com>
Subject Re: Can ant do this?
Date Tue, 21 May 2002 22:32:26 GMT
see inline.

-
Jimmy

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Loughran" <steve_l@iseran.com>
To: "Ant Users List" <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 2:18 PM
Subject: Re: Can ant do this?

I don't care it should be <foreach> or something else. What I
care is that my job has become more tedious without that.

> > Another is the ability of recursive property resolution. For example
> >
> > ${${project}.build}
> >
> > IMHO, for a large dev project with many loosely coupled sub-projects,
> > these features are really necessary.
>
> no, that is ugly ugly. Would you do it in java?  Or would you use arrays
> instead?
>
> The standard tactic today is to load in a properties file based on the sub
> projects name, that sets the properties inside

I don't understand why that is ugly. Of cause we can live
without that. But our life will be easier with that.

It is very common that we have many sub-projects that have
the same build tasks except that they use different directories
that are related to the base directory. If ant can do
${${project}.name}, then they can use the same build.xml.
The only change is the project name. Isn't that a nice thing?