ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: <property allowoverrides="true" />
Date Wed, 15 May 2002 19:18:33 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dominique Devienne" <DDevienne@lgc.com>
To: "'Ant Users List'" <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 11:53 AM
Subject: RE: <property allowoverrides="true" />

> Thanks for taking the time to answer Steve. Everything I described was
> purely experimental and in part driven by my background of using
Makefiles.
> I'm doing everything using plain vanilla ANT 1.4.1 now, although I still
> whish for more of what ant-contrib now provides.

ahh, embrace the 1.5beta world. It's pretty solid

> Now about Mutant and Myrmidon, are these two competing candidates for
ANT2?
> What are the synergies between the 2, and what are the differences?

both are explorations of what could be in ant 2...both have interesting
concepts that try and clean up a lot of the quirks and inconsistencies in
ant. For example, we dont have good classloader handling in some parts of
ant, but we cant fix it without breaking every build on the planet.
Myrmidion and mutant do get these things right. Likewise, the goal of ant 2
is to have a better container model (for IDEs and other hosts), and a more
rigorous API for tasks to make it easier but also more portable. As tasks
have access to the whole ant package heirarchy today, too much of the
current implementation is frozen in fear of breaking things. We need a
wrapper interface, just as servlets and taglibs do

I havent looked at either of Mu. and My. in detail, too busy getting 1.5 to
work. I'd like to play with both; port big builds to them and see what
works, what doesnt.

What is clear is that