ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Can ant do this?
Date Tue, 21 May 2002 21:18:57 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jimmy Han" <jhan@cisco.com>
To: "Ant Users List" <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 1:52 PM
Subject: Re: Can ant do this?

> I expect ant to be better than make and will replace make.

> However I found a few features that ant is missing.
>
> <foreach> is one.
> <property name="distdir" value="common/classes common/lib ... lib" />
>
> <foreach list="${distdir}" param="dir">
>     <mkdir dir="${catalina.dist}/${dir}"/>
>     <copy  todir="${catalina.dist}/${dir}">
>          <fileset dir="${catalina.build}/${dir}"/>
>     </copy>
> </foreach>

Consensus is that we need some kind of list operators, but it probably wont
be a foreach. SQL doesnt use foreach to work on stuff, ant shouldnt need it
either if it has the right datatypes and operations.

> Another is the ability of recursive property resolution. For example
>
> ${${project}.build}
>
> IMHO, for a large dev project with many loosely coupled sub-projects,
> these features are really necessary.

no, that is ugly ugly. Would you do it in java?  Or would you use arrays
instead?

The standard tactic today is to load in a properties file based on the sub
projects name, that sets the properties inside