ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject <cc> (was Re: Java Development with Ant)
Date Wed, 29 May 2002 15:51:38 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-ant@ehatchersolutions.com>
To: "Ant Users List" <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 6:18 AM
Subject: Java Development with Ant (was Re: Ant: The Definitive Guide
(Orielly))

> Yes, Steve wrote a fairly extensive section on the <cc> task and described
> its nice architecture.
>

> I believe the hope is that the <cc> task and its datatypes will migrate to
> the Ant core when its ready.  Either way, its definitely good stuff and
> should close the gap between Ant and make even more.
>
>     Erik

The <cc> tasks are pretty slick. They have a nice model for defining
libraries and #includes as re-usable datatypes, and you can even subclass a
compiler  instance with a default set of compiler options, and
use it in multiple places.

Best of all, the tools parse the source to build up a #includes list, and
then save that list + the current set of compiler and include flags to a
file, only rebuilding a file if these have changed.

As with all tasks, we will have to wait and see about scaling, and there are
a couple of other minor tweaks I'd like to make (like be able to set a
property with the full OS specific libname)

I managed to use it to compile a JNI native library, with a single build
file going javac->javah->cc->junit. As a process for building jni libs, this
is slick, better than spawmning MSDEV as I have done in the past. That
works, but gives you the usual IDE portability grief.

-steve