ant-user mailing list archives

From "Hal Hildebrand \(web\)" <Hal.Hildebr...@hellblazer.com>
Subject Re: Ant for multi-tier deployments
Date Thu, 30 May 2002 17:22:03 GMT
Our system is such a system.  We have about 60 -100 processes on as many
machines all controlled from a single machine using Ant.  We don't have
a GUI yet, due to scheduling, but the command line is very simple to
use.  The great thing is that when we get time to build a GUI for it, we
will just call Ant directly from the Java interface to it.  But that's
kind of obvious - I just think it's neat.

With Unix, this system is a piece of cake.  With Windows, it's a bit
more difficult and requires either third party tools (sc, psexec and
such) or some machinations with Window's services and their default set
up.  Windows has barely entered the 20th century as far as remote
administration is concerned.

It's just like we used to do with Make, but with far better integration
with the tools that you have to develop.

I wouldn't recommend running a separate Java daemon to deal with the
remote execution tasks - but that's just me.  You always have the
bootstrap problem of getting the daemon installed and running on the
remote machine - ugly at best.  With the current set of tools we have
now, we can remotely install Java, set up the environment correctly and
administer all the services we have remotely from a single machine.  No
need for any daemons we need to keep bound by chicken blood and
pentagrams.

Very cool.