ant-user mailing list archives

From "Russ Freeman" <r...@freesoft.co.uk>
Subject RE: Is there a limit on the java command-line?
Date Fri, 03 May 2002 16:50:12 GMT
Yes - that's just what I have found!

It only barfs if the classpath ends with a backslash.

One for the FAQ I guess..

-----Original Message-----
From: Dominique Devienne [mailto:DDevienne@lgc.com]
Sent: 03 May 2002 17:18
To: 'Ant Users List'
Subject: RE: Is there a limit on the java command-line?

Here's an extract of a .bat script where we had the same problem. A Java
system property had a quoted path ending in a back-slash, and apparently
java.exe chokes on it. I've solved the issue by escaping the back-slash
when finding a {back-slash, double-quote} sequence of character. See
below.

And yes, even with cmd.exe there's a limitation in the DOS command line.
Had too many jars in classpath, and too many Java system properties on
the java.exe command line. Either merge your jars, or state JAR
dependencies in the Class-Path attribute of your JAR manifests to turn
around them, or use another script language (PERL, PYTHON, etc...), but
then you have to distrib it with your app to start it up. Or write your
own startMyApp.exe... --DD

:: replace all the trailing \" by \\" to avoid the java program
:: misunderstanding the command line
set _sysproperties=%_sysproperties:\"=\\"%
set _ovproperties=%_ovproperties:\"=\\"%

java %_sysproperties% %_ovproperties% ...