ant-user mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: 1.5Beta1 propertyfile task: Generating build number throws NullPointerException (was: propertyfile task returning wrong date)
Date Sat, 04 May 2002 00:49:48 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Diane Holt" <holtdl@yahoo.com>
To: "Ant Users List" <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, May 03, 2002 8:30 PM
Subject: Re: 1.5Beta1 propertyfile task: Generating build number throws
NullPointerException (was: propertyfile task returning wrong date)

> --- Erik Hatcher <jakarta-ant@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:
> > Do the test cases run successfully?
>
> Didn't run 'em, since I figured I'd be volunteering you :)

We're gonna have to get you in the habit of using those test cases!

> > Here's what I'd recommend if you want to tackle it:
> >
> > 1) Add that particular exceptional situation to the test case
>
> What qualifies it as an "exceptional situation"?  Seems like a pretty
> standard one to me.

"Exception-al" in that it throws an exception :)  Thats what I meant.

> > 2) Make sure the problem occurs before making a change to the task
>
> Oh, I did that before I did anything (even tried a couple of workarounds
> :) -- it doesn't happen in 1.4.1, just 1.5Beta1, which is why I have to
> assume it's coming from the changes you made between then and now, and why
> I figured I'd leave it to you to decide whether that's the appropriate
> fix, since you know the changes you made, and I don't.

Its _our_ code... so make a change if it fixes the bug.  I was only
emphasizing that there are now several tests for <propertyfile> out there,
and if we find a bug we really should make a test case to prove its a bug
and then we know when we've fixed the bug all at the same time *and* we then
know from then on that code changes won't reintroduce that bug.

    Erik