ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Ant: The Definitive Guide (Orielly)
Date Tue, 28 May 2002 17:07:58 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Bailey" <chris@codeintensity.com>
To: "Ant Users List" <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 9:42 AM
Subject: RE: Ant: The Definitive Guide (Orielly)

> And, what does the book provide that the online docs do not?  For example,
> have a copy of "Java Tools for Extreme Programming: Mastering Open Source
> Tools Including Ant, JUnit, and Cactus".  THe sections on Ant are really
> weak.  If you'd never seen Ant before, they'd help, but it doesn't even
> cover as much as the online docs (and in fact, even says to go read the
"Ant
> in Anger" article first :)

but of course :)

> If the Definitive Guide book gets really in-depth and provides a lot of
> examples of really complicated build needs, that might be useful (e.g. I'm
> thinking that a "Cookbook" version would be more useful).

funny you should say that.

I havent seen ant:tdg yet, but as the main competitor to the book on ant
soon to come from Erik and me, they are a key competitor (the other is the
on-line docs, which is why we opted not to repeat said docs*)). The book was
originally scheduled to come out in, um February, and has slipped a couple
of times.

I dont know if the slippage was to put in ant1.5 features, or the usual
"optimistic schedules no time to sleep" issues of any software project. But
like any project with time-to-market needs, slip too much and you have to
add more features to stay competitive.

So I think the past few months will have been pretty hard for them. If they
have ant1.5 features in there is a stability issue(**), and if they dont the
book obsoletes fast. I bet there wont be a 'covers ant1.4 sticker on the
cover'.

(*) well, there will be a quick reference, but we will autogenerate it from
javadoc comments using xdoclet; no gratuitous typing there :)

(**) which is what a regression tests and full builds of all your examples
every night are for