ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Cross-platform build.xml files
Date Tue, 21 May 2002 00:43:07 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nascif A. Abousalh Neto" <nascif@nortelnetworks.com>
To: <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Cc: "Vincent Caserta" <vincentc@nortelnetworks.com>
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2002 2:38 PM
Subject: Cross-platform build.xml files

> Hi,
>
> We are trying to develop cross-platform build.xml files, that should work
both in Windows and Solaris. Things have been working just fine, but every
now and then someone introduces a problem by creating/extending/testing a
build file in Windows (our development platform) but not testing it in
Solaris (our loadbuild/target platform). Our number one problem has been
with case-sensitivity issues, more specifically in classpaths. For example:

>   <path id="build.classpath">
>     <pathelement location="${jlog.path}/log.jar"/>
>   </path>
>
> If the designer had used "Log.jar" instead of "log.jar" we would end up
with a build.xml that works just fine in Windows but fails miserably in
Solaris (the code won't compile). In the ideal world all designers would
test in both, but time and resources make our situation much less than
ideal.

> So I ask this group: are there any good hints/tips/guidelines on how to
develop robust cross-platform build files? In particular, is there any good
way to deal with the pathelement problem described above? Can I make
"location" attributes in general case-sensitive, regardless of the OS?

good Q. there is a casesensitive attr in <fileset>, which should work with a
bit of hackery.