ant-user mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Ant: The Definitive Guide (Orielly)
Date Tue, 28 May 2002 23:48:02 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Loughran" <steve_l@iseran.com>

> stated, and other sublties left out. As an example, it was only when I
> looked at the <echo> source, that I discovered it has had a level
parameter
> since before ant1.3, but because it was undocumented it was unused.
Thinking
> about it, echo probably makes a good quick test: if it has the level
> parameter then either they did look at the source, or they were tracking
> ant1.5 changes enough to notice when I did write up the attribute.

Well, being one to keep up with the competition, I pre-ordered a copy of
their book and even paid the extra 2-day shipping from Amazon (thank you
very much Memorial Day holiday for making that a 4 day ship time instead!).

And in fact Steve's test shows no 'level' attribute on <echo> (p. 139).  So
they built off the docs rather than the source.

Since I'm in a competitive mood, Tilly's bio on the last page says he's an
"active partipant of the Ant community on the Apache Software Foundation Ant
mailing lists".  Last post on ant-user that I could find from him was
2001-07-02.  His book points out a lot of flaws in Ant (just from a quick
cursory glance through it) and actually has a lot of negative things to say
about Ant, yet we have seen no patches from him to fix them.  Steve and I
have fixed numerous pieces of Ant throughout the development of our book,
which typically involved more pain than had we just documented the flaw. In
other words, let actions speak louder than words.  :)

In all fairness, the day our book publishes I might not be online responding
to e-mails either - as I think my family will deserve some attention after
my "absence" for the past 7+ months.

    Erik