ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: <import> would be nice
Date Sat, 25 May 2002 18:12:53 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicolaken@apache.org>
To: "Ant Users List" <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Cc: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2002 10:14 AM
Subject: Re: <import> would be nice

> From: "Hal Hildebrand (web)" <Hal.Hildebrand@hellblazer.com>
>
> > I would love to have <import>.  If nothing else, xml includes really
> > suck.
>
> I second this.
>
> Would any committer -1 this (+explanation, please)?

I dont think anyone will; it is after all, one of the ant 2.0 required
features is to work much better in big multi-file projects. Ant is good in
that you can do much more in a single file than make, bad in that because
the need is less, it has done multi-file stuff less well.

xml imports do suck, because they happen too early, you cant go

<import-typedefs srcFile="${project.base}/typedefs.xml"/>

I dunno if the syntax of hal is right, but the ability to have cross-file
dependencies is one of the ant2.0 plans.

-steve