ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: <import> would be nice
Date Sun, 26 May 2002 05:51:25 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicolaken@apache.org>
To: "Ant Users List" <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2002 11:39 AM
Subject: Re: <import> would be nice

> > xml imports do suck, because they happen too early, you cant go
> >
> > <import-typedefs srcFile="${project.base}/typedefs.xml"/>
>
> Wow wow, this is a "projectlib" kinda thing, it really gets wanting it
even
> more :-D
>
> > I dunno if the syntax of hal is right, but the ability to have
cross-file
> > dependencies is one of the ant2.0 plans.
>
> Now is better ;-)
>
> Any hints on how this can be implemented?
> Calling a special ProjectHelper?

well, importing datatypes and thingys from a subproject would work, we do
need a better alternative than XML includes (one that identifies errors
properly), but avoids crossing over into the 'this is a subroutine call'
drift towards proceduralism.

Ant2.0 actually has more of a vision of cross target dependencies; dunno how
that would look at all, maybe something like (to make up a schema as I go
along):

<target name="deploy">
 <dependencies>
    <depends target="init">
    <depends target="build" file="buildfile3.xml">
 </dependencies>
 </target>

to tell the system that deploy depends on [init, buildfile3.xml::build]

Actually, that double colon notation looks kind of familiar...