ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Borland Jbuilder finally adds ant support (at a price)
Date Tue, 21 May 2002 03:15:35 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Ellsworth" <scott@alodar.com>
To: "Ant Users List" <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2002 6:33 PM
Subject: Re: Borland Jbuilder finally adds ant support (at a price)

> On-topic part - I do so wish Borland would drop the JBuilder price to
> something closer to what the product is worth - it would make budget
> time a lot less painful for our IDE using crowd.

try a copy of IDEA for a month; very competitive price. Lacks fancy UML
stuff, and advanced EJB, but that is what Xdoclet is for.

> Hmmm.  We actually have the opposite experience.  We let everyone use
> the tools that make them the most comfortable and productive, and try to
> make sure that the underlying ANT build system can build the result.  As
> a result, people work as they work best, but they produce code that
> everyone else can live with.
>
> Thus, people who mistype method names can wax rhapsodic about jbuilder
> and eclipse, people who like ProjectBuilder can run it happily enough,
> and the bbedit and ant crowd still get work done.

yes, that is the nice thing about ant. Low maintenance, cross IDE (or multi
IDE) dev. I have ant configured to run from jedit, IDEA and um Visual
Studio.net, as the need arises. (latter has good XSD editing)

> The one icky bit - I would really like to generate the project files
> used by all of these IDEs as part of our automated build process, or at
> least on checkout, but that has not been as easy as I would like.

IDEs are too fiddly in a big team. Their problem, not ants :)