ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Driver Attribute of SQL Task should not be required
Date Fri, 31 May 2002 17:51:53 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christian Wolfgang Hujer" <Christian.Hujer@itcqis.com>
To: <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2002 9:25 AM
Subject: Driver Attribute of SQL Task should not be required

> Hello dear ANT users,
>
> I think the driver attribute of the SQL task should be optional, not
required.
> It is possible to load a JDBC Driver using the -Djdbc.drivers property,
e.g. using ANT_OPTS="-Djdbc.drivers=org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver" in ~/.antrc.
> And I think the driver is generally more system dependent than build
dependent.  So the driver should be set as an attribute to the SQL task if
it is build dependent, as global Java property otherwise.

we are trying to move away from all the magic properties, so no, I think it
should stay as an attribute. Also, in my experience, the driver is often
application dependent, so that I have different drivers for each app and the
db they talk to.

The best practise would be to always use a property to set the driver, so it
can be overridden