ant-user mailing list archives

From philipbor...@discoverfinancial.com
Subject Re: Which free-software JVM to use?
Date Sat, 13 Apr 2002 15:21:23 GMT

I have no experience with Kaffe, but the way JAVA_HOME works with Sun's JDK
is that you point to the directory where the installation starts.  For
instance I installed the JDK in e:\jdk1.4.0 and so that is the value of my
JAVA_HOME environment variable.

Good luck,
-Phil

                    Kragen Sitaker

                    <kragen+antuser@cano        To:     ant-user@jakarta.apache.org

                    nical.org>                  cc:

                                                Subject:     Which free-software JVM to use?

                    04/12/2002 02:14 PM

                    Please respond to

                    "Ant Users List"

I'm a completely new Java user, so I'm afraid I'm a little unclear on
what's connected to what else.

I want to run Ant, but Kaffe 1.0.5 doesn't seem up to the task.
Has anyone had success running Ant with a different free-software JVM?
There seem to be a bunch, but most of them sound really flaky, don't
support my platform (Linux/x86), or both.

Details follow.

I managed to get Ant 1.4.1 to build with Jikes 1.10, Kaffe 1.0.5, and
GNU Classpath 0.03, with the following command line:

CLASSPATH=/usr/local/classpath/share/classpath JAVAC=/usr/bin/jikes
JAVACMD=/usr/bin/kaffe ./bootstrap.sh

It complains then that it can't load kaffe.util.Ptr:
Warning: JAVA_HOME environment variable not set.
  If build fails because sun.* classes could not be found
  you will need to set the JAVA_HOME environment variable
  to the installation directory of java.
... Bootstrapping Ant Distribution
... Compiling Ant Classes
... Copying Required Files
... Building Ant Distribution
Couldn't find or load essential class `kaffe/util/Ptr'
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError kaffe/util/Ptr
./bootstrap.sh: line 122: 16494 Aborted                 "${JAVACMD}"
-classpath "${CLASSPATH}" -Dant.home=. org.apache.tools.ant.Main -emacs
bootstrap
... Cleaning Up Build Directories
... Done Bootstrapping Ant Distribution

If I add /usr/share/kaffe/Klasses.jar to CLASSPATH, I get a segmentation
fault instead:
Warning: JAVA_HOME environment variable not set.
  If build fails because sun.* classes could not be found
  you will need to set the JAVA_HOME environment variable
  to the installation directory of java.
... Bootstrapping Ant Distribution
... Compiling Ant Classes
... Copying Required Files
... Building Ant Distribution
./bootstrap.sh: line 122: 16509 Segmentation fault      "${JAVACMD}"
-classpath "${CLASSPATH}" -Dant.home=. org.apache.tools.ant.Main -emacs
bootstrap
... Cleaning Up Build Directories
... Done Bootstrapping Ant Distribution

Setting JAVA_HOME to point to Klasses.jar or a directory where I've
unzipped Klasses.jar doesn't seem to help.

gdb on the core file generated by Kaffe is, perhaps unsurprisingly,
singularly unenlightening.

So I think I should give up on this version of Kaffe.  What should I
use instead?  And please don't recommend the Sun JDK or the IBM JRE ---
I'm not installing proprietary software on my computer unless somebody's
paying me to do it.