ant-user mailing list archives

From ken...@keysolutions.com
Subject Re: auto dependency generation?
Date Wed, 10 Apr 2002 19:14:55 GMT

On 04/10/2002 03:10:30 PM, Diane Holt wrote:
> There's the <depend> task, but it works once the class files are all
> compiled (since it uses them to determine the dependencies).

Found that as well...seemed like a backwards thing do
do (needing class files to generate dependencies :-)

> But won't the Java compiler go compile whatever it needs whenever it
> needs it? Does the Interface source file live in some subdir down from
> the dir specified in 'srcdir'?

Both (the Interface source file and the Class that uses that
Interface) java files live in com/blah/blah which is under the srcdir.
No idea whether javac knows to compile what it needs to.  I'm
coming from a VisualAge environment where VisualAge magically
takes care of dependencies and compiling and even packing up
a .jar file w/ only the .class files that are referenced.

 ken