ant-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Barclay <dbarc...@mercator.com>
Subject RE: Newbie question about exec/chown
Date Mon, 22 Apr 2002 22:08:02 GMT

> From: David Adams [mailto:DAdams@ignitesports.com]
> I am trying to write an exec task in UNIX to chown a
> directory and files (as well as the subdirectories). The task
> command I am using is:
>
>       <exec dir="${dir}" executable="chown" os="SunOS">
>            <arg line="-R user:web ${dir}/*"/>
>       </exec>
>
> This returns:
>      [exec] chown: /data/netscape/docs/target/*: No such file
> or directory
>      [exec] Result: 1
>
> This seems to come out well when I <echo> the entire task command.

Do you mean it comes out with an asterisk or it comes out with a list
of names that is the expansion of that wildcard character?

Your wildcard character is not being expanded before chown is called.
I'm not sure, but evidently Ant running the command directly, not calling
a shell which can expand wildcards before executing the command.

You need to use the shell or use Ant to expand the wildcard.  (I don't
recall what options you have with the <exec> task to use Ant to do the
expansion.)

Daniel