ant-user mailing list archives

From Ed Mack <...@wrq.com>
Subject Linking multiple build machines
Date Fri, 19 Apr 2002 21:19:03 GMT
Hi all,
Our builds are taking longer and longer, which has prompted me to look
into dividing unrelated build tasks onto separate machines.  I have
played with this a little, and have some of it working.

The primary build machine uses the FTP task to transfer the metadata
for the current build (e.g. build number, changelist# to sync, Ant
commands to invoke).  I then use the Telnet task to kick off the
build script on the remote machine, which includes touching a file, as
a signal that its part has completed.

Where I am stuck is how to get the primary build machine to check (wait,
and check again) for this semaphore file, if it finishes its own tasks,
first.

This is my first attempt at a cooperative implementation like this, so
I am totally open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Ed Mack

WRQ, Inc.
We specialize in integration software and services that let you quickly
adapt your host-intensive environment to meet new business needs.