ant-user mailing list archives

From Scott Ellsworth <sc...@alodar.com>
Subject Re: "if" task
Date Tue, 30 Apr 2002 23:23:50 GMT

On Tuesday, April 30, 2002, at 08:35  AM, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> I've given the ones from ant-contrib a try and they are well done and
> certainly would be useful to many.  I've not found a need for them in
> any of my builds to-date though, but I'm also only doing pure Java
> development mostly for building webapps.

Count me as a +1 (non-committer) for putting them in the core, or at
least the optional, as then they will be used more often and in more
places.

ForEach would have solved one of my problems pretty well - I wanted to
call a targets for every item in a given list, but I really did not care
beyond that how the call got done.

For political reasons, we had resistance to the ant-contrib tasks being
used, but core and optional were not a problem.  I have seen many
organizations with such resistance, as rightly or wrongly, there is some
mindshare taken up with each tool used, and an engineer spending
political capital to get each tool approved.  Someone has to make sure
that we are up to date, and all that rot, so getting buy-in on using ANT
permits us to use any ANT task without having to spend extra mindshare.

So, while I have no interest in seeing ANT become too scripty, I do see
some substantial benefit in the for-each task, and a few kinfolk, moving
in to the ANT core, at least in the 2.0 time frame, and possible in a
hypothetical 1.6 timeframe.

Scott