ant-user mailing list archives

From Jamie.Ech...@ubsw.com
Subject setting a specific compiler
Date Thu, 25 Apr 2002 17:33:11 GMT
Hi

Whilst my question is somewhat related to the thread http://www.mail-archive.com/ant-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg15539.html
but it's different enough and I'm stuck enough to ask the question again.

I would like my project to be compiled using the 1.4 JDK as opposed to our regular 1.3.1 compiler
under certain conditions, ideally when a property is set. But from the archives I understand
that I can't do this til Ant 1.5.

I cannot set the JAVA_HOME ev either, as we have a home-grown app somewhat similar to cruise
control that compiles the project as it receives notifs of checkins. Ideally I would like
to do this via the ant build xml files and not have to mess with our autobuilder.

The closest I've got so far is to have two compile targets as follows:

  <target name="compile" depends="init">
  <!--
	Need two compiles - one for regular JRE and one for the alternate
	With Ant 1.5.1 we could fully specify the compiler as part of the javac task, but not
	the current version (1.4)
  -->
    <antcall target="compileRegular">
    <antcall target="compileAlternateJRE">

  </target>

  <target name="compileRegular" depends="init" unless="javac.AlternateJRE">
    <!-- Compile the java code from ${src} into ${build} -->
    <javac srcdir="${src.dir.java}" destdir="${dest.dir.javaclasses}" debug="true" deprecation="false"
failonerror="${javac.failOnError}">
      <classpath refid="classpath"/>
    </javac>
  </target>

  <target name="compileAlternateJRE" depends="init" if="javac.AlternateJRE">
    <exec executable="ant">
      <arg line="-buildfile ${ant.file} compileRegular"/>
      <env key="JAVA_HOME" value="${javac.AlternateJRE}"/>
      could set properties via the properties task
    </exec>
  </target>

So the second target starts a new ant process. Where I'm stuck is that I'm not sure how to
pass all the properties elegantly to the child ant, and it all seems quite hacky.

Is there a better way, or if not does this way seem sensible?

Thanks in advance, Jamie

related financial instruments.