ant-user mailing list archives

From Eric Richardson <eric.richard...@milagrosoft.com>
Subject Managing multiple projects with shared targets
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2002 18:33:03 GMT
Hi,

I'm transforming xml docs to html and pdf and use ANT for this process.
I wanted to have one main build file that could be used to call build
files for each project for nightly builds using the <ant> . This works
fine but almost all the targets in the subproject ant files are exactly
the same so I wanted to put the targets in the main file and perhaps put
hooks in the individual build files so special processing could be done
at the project level. Perhaps a pre and post processing dependencies.
This way minor deviations can be accomplished at the project level
without affecting anybody elses builds.

I previously tried antcall but this also doesn't lend to local project
control using common targets. I have a couple of basic questions that
may help. I see that the properties in the main file are ignored if they
are redefined in the subproject. But targets in the main file are
ignored if they are called from the subproject. Are targets overridden
in newer versions of ant? What about properties?

I could reverse the concept where the subprojects include the common
targets but then they need to know the location at the XML entity
resolution level not at an ant property resolution level which means I'd
have to use catalog support for that but there must be a better way. Any
insight into managing multiple projects with shared targets would be
much appreciated.

Eric

Does anybody else have a similar situation