ant-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Ronn Chinowutthichai <ro...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Research question
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2002 16:15:11 GMT
 > I desire a stand-alone build system that is cross-platform (Win2K, 
Linux, Solaris, AIX,
 > Mac OS X at a minimum), easy to use (not all of our developers will 
have time to learn
 > anything complicated *cough*make*cough*), capable of being run from a 
command-line
 > or script.

Yep. I can't comment on any other ide but JBuilder does it pretty well 
if you just want to
compile/run and debug your code. But i think software development these 
days goes beyond
that (i.e., deploy, test, package, ...) Ant is extensible and it allows 
you to do that with
reasonable ease.

How about mentioning Antidote? That would provide some level of comfort 
to the project managers!

rOnn c.


Chappell, Simon P wrote:

>This gets to my whole point. Almost every IDE offers some kind of project capability and
a way to compile that project, but (usually) only from within the IDE itself.
>
>I desire a stand-alone build system that is cross-platform (Win2K, Linux, Solaris, AIX,
Mac OS X at a minimum), easy to use (not all of our developers will have time to learn anything
complicated *cough*make*cough*), capable of being run from a command-line or script.
>
>Ant meets all these needs with style. My point was to try and find alternatives that I
could list so that my proposal to use Ant didn't look like it was written by a founding member
of the Ant fan club! :-)
>
>Simon
>
>-----------------------------------------------------------------
>Simon P. Chappell                     simon.chappell@landsend.com
>Java Programming Specialist                      www.landsend.com
>Lands' End, Inc.                                   (608) 935-4526
>
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>From: Ronn Chinowutthichai [mailto:ronnc@acm.org]
>>Sent: Monday, April 01, 2002 10:39 PM
>>To: Ant Users List
>>Subject: Re: Research question
>>
>>
>>What about build tools offered by IDE? JBuilder for example.
>>
>>I am also sure that afew years ago many people are building ad 
>>hoc tools 
>>*specifically* for Java System (whether it would be with perl, shell 
>>script or other languages like make rule sysntax).
>>
>>rOnn c.
>>
>>
>>Chappell, Simon P wrote:
>>
>>>I'm writing a proposal for using ant internally as part of 
>>>
>>our standard build process and I am having difficulty finding 
>>information on the alternatives to ant. I have tried many 
>>different searches on the mighty Google, but with less than 
>>wonderful success. The few that I found seem to mostly have 
>>withered and died and a few even suggest switching to ant! :-)
>>
>>>Can folks on this list point me at a few other tools that I 
>>>
>>can list in my document. Specifically, I am looking for build 
>>tools that are designed for Java systems (hence "make" doesn't 
>>make the cut).
>>
>>>Simon
>>>
>>>-----------------------------------------------------------------
>>>Simon P. Chappell                     simon.chappell@landsend.com
>>>Java Programming Specialist                      www.landsend.com
>>>Lands' End, Inc.                                   (608) 935-4526
>>>
>>>--
>>>To unsubscribe, e-mail:   
>>>
><mailto:ant-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
>
>>For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:ant-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>--
>To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <mailto:ant-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
>For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:ant-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
>
>
>--
>To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <mailto:ant-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
>For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:ant-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
>
>
>




--
To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <mailto:ant-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:ant-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>


Mime
View raw message