ant-user mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Path, refid, <src>
Date Fri, 26 Apr 2002 23:17:40 GMT
--- Gurdev Parmar <gparmar@versant.com> wrote:
> I want to address this problem to the dev group as well. Sorry for
> the bandwidth.

I've reduced the bandwidth back down to just ant-user, since this isn't
really an ant-dev issue. If you have patches to the documentation you'd
like to contribute, that'd go to ant-dev (or Bugzilla), but this thread
doesn't really need to.

> Like, the manual does not say that <fileset> inside <path> tag
> can be used only for jar files and not source files.

But where would you ever have a path that includes source files? What
would use it? In other words, while it's not explicitly stated, the fact
that it's a path datatype should imply that only things that are
meaningful being part of a path should be included.

> Or that path-like elements are to be used only for directories.

That's only true for <javac>'s nested <src> element. Maybe it would've
been clearer to have it be a nested <srcdir> element?

> Secondly, I want to know why the ant developers thought that <src>
> should be a path like element where we can specify only directories
> and <classpath> can be a path like element which can take
> jar files too.

Because the <src> element specifies the source directory(s) under which it
should look for the java source files; whereas, a classpath (which Java's
thing, not Ant's) can point to both directories within which class files
can be found, as well as archive files that it understands about, within
which class files can be found.

> What do I do when I want to define all the source file patterns at one
> place and just use the refid in the javac task?

If you can tell me why you want to do that, I can point you to the right
ways of going about it.

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)