ant-user mailing list archives

From stephan beal <step...@einsurance.de>
Subject help formulating an <uptodate>?
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2002 08:33:17 GMT
Good morning!

i have a set of files with a dependency list which i just can't seem to
formulate in ant. It goes a little something like this...

Single dir contains:

foo.txt
foo.xml - generated from foo.txt
[many files].java - generated from foo.txt
generator.pl - processes foo.txt to make foo.xml & *.java.
*.tmpl - template code which goes into *.java.

In addition, the directory contains many non-auto-generated classes, but they
are only important in that the pattern *.java cannot be reliably used in that
directory to check dependencies between the auto-gen'd files.

The dependency chain goes something like this:

- if foo.txt is newer than foo.xml, rebuild.
- if *.tmpl are newer than foo.txt, rebuild.
- if generator.pl is newer than foo.txt, rebuild.

(Note that when i say "rebuild", i mean "sets a flag which will eventually
kick off the build.")

My instinct is to use several <uptodate> blocks to set a single flag, but i'm
really not sure how ant's "property immutability" applies there, so i
hesitate to do so. i've tried using a <condition> but was not successful in
correctly handling all cases.

Any suggestions?

----- stephan
stephan@einsurance.de - http://www.einsurance.de
Office: +49 (89)  552 92 862 Handy:  +49 (179) 211 97 67
"I didn't give in to the Nazis and I won't give in to the bladder."
- The Queen Mum