ant-user mailing list archives

From Adam Murdoch <adammurd...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Runtime defined datatypes help.
Date Mon, 22 Apr 2002 23:42:07 GMT
On Tue, 23 Apr 2002 02:54, Nino Walker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to use <typedef> to define type at runtime, but, it seems,
> I can't declare an instance of the type. The type is registered w/ the
> project, but Ant's UnknownElement barfs when it tries to handle the
> <srcrule> tag.

Barfs how?  throws an exception?

> My build file looks something like this:
>
> <project>
> <typedef name="srcrule" classname="...SomeSrcRuleImpl">
>    <classpath ... />
> </typedef>
>
> <srcrule id="my.srcrule" aproperty="value" />
> <target>
>    <mytask>
>      <outputrule refId="my.srcrule" />
>    </mytask>
> </target>
>

> Is there something patently wrong with this?  It's not a classpath issue,
> as the type is loaded...

No, but it may be a classloader issue.  When a <typedef> or <taskdef> is given

a classpath, it creates a new classloader to load the class from.  The
problem is that they don't share this classloader with other <typedef> and
<taskdef>'s that have the same classpath specified.  Which means that
<taskdef>'d tasks cannot use the <typedef>'d types by reference, because
they're all in different classloaders.  The types work fine when used as
nested elements - it just when used by reference.

What you should try is putting your custom tasks and types somewhere in ant's
classpath, and then use <typedef> and <taskdef> without a classpath.

--
Adam