ant-user mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Please clarify a point about properties
Date Wed, 03 Apr 2002 16:46:23 GMT
--- Erik Hatcher <jakarta-ant@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:

> And use env.WHATEVER in your default.properties file as the property to
> set there. And internally use that property name internally to your
> build file where needed and override from the command-line
> using -Denv.WHATEVER=<whatever>.

Except you wouldn't actually need to override it that way, since it's an
environment variable, so you don't need to do it as a define -- just set
it in your env. (To do it on the fly, just do 'WHATEVER=my_value ant'
[except under funky DOS, you have to do 'set WHATEVER=my_value && ant'].)

> I prefer not to use "env." properties internally and reassign them to
> non-enviromental looking names - if you wanted to do that in this case
> you'd have to resort to a temporary property to act as an intermediate
> placeholder, I think.

If you don't want to use the "env." property names throughout your build
file, just reassign it to another name once it has a value.

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)