ant-user mailing list archives

From "Joel Rees" <j...@alpsgiken.gr.jp>
Subject Re: problem with file dependencies
Date Thu, 25 Apr 2002 03:21:37 GMT
On Thursday, April 25, 2002 12:26 AM Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org>
wrote

> On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Dominique Devienne <DDevienne@lgc.com> wrote:
>
> > So <depend> which only looks at the bytecode would not see the
> > dependency to "Constants"...

So the behavior I'm looking at, where the dependency on my class full of
constants does not get picked up by Ant is because the class reference is
optimized out by the time Ant gets a look at the object code?

Which means that Ant is gleaning its dependency checks directly from the
compiled object?

Mind boggling. ;) And it explains why the dependencies are picked up for
non-constant references. Wouldn't have thought of it.

> Yes.  At least for now, but <depend>'s dependency analyzer is now
> (1.5) pluggable so maybe some time in the future there'll be a
> dependency analyzer implementation that parsers sources.
>
> IIRC Conor doubts that such a dependency analyzer followed by <javac>
> would be faster than a clean rebuild - I tend to agree with him.

That's true. Compiler back ends are mostly I/O bound, where the front end,
which would be the business end for dependency checks, usually weighs the
CPU down running up and down the stacks. That's one reason FORTH compiles so
fast, most of the sub-grammars implemented by its compiling words are
regular and nearly state-free.

Well, back to reality, here's a suggestion -- could
Ant-with-compiler-front-end auto-generate an auxiliary dependencies file?

No, I guess that's going to get out of sync, which will mean training the
programmers to do a periodic clean compile anyway.

Thanks for the answers. I'll have to play around with <depends> and
<uptodate> to see if I can tune things a bit. You guys are great.

Joel Rees
Alps Giken Kansai Systems Develoment
Suita, Osaka