ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Building C# projects using Ant
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2002 23:49:50 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Edward Gemar" <egemar@forwardvue.com>
To: <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 8:38 AM
Subject: Building C# projects using Ant

> Hi all,
>             The project I am working on has a J2EE server component and
> .Net C# client.  We have the Java server components building and
> deploying fine using ant and now need to automate the build of our C#
> client.  I know there are .Net optional Ant tasks, but they don't seem
> to do what we need.

...you can add more, and since last CSC added dependency checking. There is
also a WsdlToDotnet task to generate CS code from a WSDL File

>  We would like to be able to just point to our
> existing Visual Studio solution and project files and have them build
> correctly.  Currently, we are using the VS devenv.exe tool with the
> proper command line switches to this manually.
>             There is an environment variable VSCOMNTOOLS that Visual
> Studio sets up that in theory we can use to point to the devenv.exe
> location.  The problem is that the path set in VSCOMNTOOLS is quoted and
> does not point directly to the devenv.exe location.  i.e. -
> VSCOMNTOOLS="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
> .NET\Common7\Tools\"  Ant barfs if you try to add a relative path to a
> path that is quoted i.e. "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
> .NET\Common7\Tools\"..\IDE

Add devenv to the path, or point to in a properties file

>             So the question is:  Is there a better way to build VS .Net
> projects using Ant?  If not is there an easy way to strip the quotes
> from a path or property?  That will solve our problem if there is a way
> to do it because then it is trivial to build a path to the devenv.exe
> and invoke it using the <exec> task.

See nant on sourceforge for a net version of ant; call nant from ant for the
C# side of things.

if you delegate to devenv, then you have IDE maintenance/portability issues
to go with your ant file.