ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Documentation question
Date Mon, 29 Apr 2002 19:06:02 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dominique Devienne" <DDevienne@lgc.com>
To: "'Ant Users List'" <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2002 11:45 AM
Subject: RE: Documentation question

> I'm not the best person to answer this particular question, but ANT's
> documentation is not generated from Javadocs, but from XML doc files
> transformed by something (xdoc?) to HTML.

not yet, right now, it is simple HTML

> ANT code also has Javadocs of
> course, but until recently this API documentation was never "published" on
> the official web site. One had to generate it from CVS sources.
>
> So to come back on the original question, you would either have to enable
> conversion of the XML documentation to PDF using XSLT/FOP (might not be
> easy... I have no clue if it's even possible), or convert it to something
> (MIF) that can already be easily converted to PDF, or finally post-process
> the generated HTML in some way.

If we had XML documentation, then cocoon could create the docs and all would
be well. But we dont so you cant.

The Ant1.6 plan is to use xdoc to create all the ant task documentation from
special javadoc tags in the source files, by way of xdoclet; once we also
move any other files to XML then all the docs will be in a format that you
can fiddle with to your hearts content.

This will not be in Ant1.5; if you want a PDF version then you will have to
use acrobat or something similar.

-steve