ant-user mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: some design questions about "ant in anger"
Date Fri, 19 Apr 2002 18:01:20 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ray Tayek" <rtayek@attbi.com>
> > > ... if you wanted to override some property, you would need to somehow
> > > process your build.properties in a "bottom up" manner ...
> >
> >you set your properties in precedence order, and the command-line
> >(-D/-propertyfile) options take ultimate precedence.
>
> because the first guy to define it gets it his way, correct?

Exactly.

> i also see that if you do not inheritAll (properties), then it looksl like
> you can still access the "outer" properties by using something called
> "nested property tags".

You can specify properties on an <ant> basis that get defined in the
sub-builds,  yes, even overriding ones that get inherited if you want.

> i was thinking of putting the different tests in different source
> directories and keeping the junit tests in the same package (so i can test
> protected methods easily) but in a different source directory (i would
> expect helper classes to hang out here).

Yes, I keep plain JUnit and Cactus tests in separate trees.  I want my
builds to be testable even without using Cactus on occasion, since Cactus
requires more time and more dependencies and configuration be in place which
may not be the case on every machine. And yes, Tomcat Cactus tests deploy
"in place" which is quite nice (in answer to another e-mail).

    Erik