ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: "if" task
Date Tue, 30 Apr 2002 18:20:37 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gordon Tyler" <gordon.tyler@sitraka.com>
To: "Ant Users List" <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 10:01 AM
Subject: Re: "if" task

> I'll add another annoying me too message to this thread.
>
> We have a fairly complex Ant build script (just under 1000 lines, not
> counting external properties files and a separate 300 line bootstrap
nightly
> build.xml) and it would be so much better with foreach and if tasks.

I'm -0 on if/then; ok with try/catch

Maybe as a former prolog programmer it makes more sense to me, but I dont
have too many needs for conditionality apart from <fail>, even doing complex
deployment stuff. What we have right now is a reasonable conceptual model,
significantly better way.

> Yes, we could use the contrib tasks but there is some internal resistance
> using non-core tasks and I don't have much say in what goes into our CVS
> controlled version of Ant. So having them in the core set of tasks would
be
> preferable.

I am afraid you need to deal with your internal resistance...and you dont
need to put the tasks into ant_home\lib, just use a classpath on <taskdef>
and load them from a jar local to your project.