ant-user mailing list archives

From "Gordon Tyler" <gordon.ty...@sitraka.com>
Subject Re: Switching versions of java during an ant build
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2002 14:50:31 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel Barclay" <dbarclay@mercator.com>

I'm facing this challenge for the next version of the project I'm working
on. We've got 5 packages making up the product, 3 of which need to be
compiled with JDK 1.4 and the other 2 need to be compiled with JDK 1.3.
Currently all 5 packages are built with one javac task. While it's simple to
split that up into separate javac tasks for the various packages, I'm not
sure how easy it will be to make Ant use different JDKs to compile them.

I haven't applied much brainpower to this problem yet since we're still in
the dev cycles for the current version of the product but I'm going to have
to deal with this soon and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

> On the other hand, it would slow things down a lot, and would
> probably complicate internal Ant code a lot (passing arguments
> to a new VM instead of directly calling methods).

They have to do that with <javac fork="true"> anyway.

Ciao,
Gordon